- This event has passed.
Respiratory Muscle Strength Training Advanced Clinical Workshop
September 14, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 4:45 pm
Respiratory Muscle Strength Advanced Clinical Training Workshop
- This course is offered for 0.75 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level; Professional area.)
- EMST150 device will be provided to each course participant
Chris Sapienza, Ph.D, CCC-SLP, Professor of Communication Sciences and Disorders
World Renowned Expert in the field of RMST.
Learn more about Dr. Sapienza HERE
This premier presentation will cover the basic principles and clinical utility of Respiratory Muscle Strength Training (RMST). It will include information on its theoretical underpinnings, report on past and current outcome data, and present treatment approaches for various patient groups using both inspiratory and expiratory muscle strength training devices. Dr. Sapienza brings pragmatic information that is both informative and interesting to clinicians worldwide.
- Identify key anatomical and physiologic components of respiration, swallow and cough
- Understand effectiveness of RMST for patient care
- Demonstrate the ability to assess key measures of respiratory strength and relate these to RMST protocols
- Demonstrate knowledge of devices for RMST and advantages/disadvantages with various patient groups
- Demonstrate ability to plan and implement RMST protocols
- Demonstrate ability to assess RMST outcomes in terms of respiratory muscle strength, swallow and cough
Course Schedule (0.75 ASHA CEUS)
07:30- 8:00 Registration
08:00- 9:45 What is RMST?
09:45-10:15 Airway Protection
10:30-11:30 Airway Protection, continued (Breathing, Cough, and Swallow)
11:30-12:30 Applications for Assessment & Treatment, Demonstration (Use, Troubleshooting, Measurement)
01:00- 02:15 Applications for Assessment & Treatment, Demonstration , con’t
02:15- 04:45 Cases and Critical Thinking
Additional Course Information:
- Handouts will be available in digital format prior to event
- Respiratory muscle strength training devices and assessment tools will be on hand for demonstration
- Refreshments will be provided
- EMST150 device will be provided to each course participant courtesy of Aspire Products, LLC.